Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Timeline of Awesome

Friday August 12, 2011

Kate poses a great problem.




Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dan asks a great question.


To which I responded something like, "yeah, prolly, but it'd take a bunch of brute force."



Saturday, November 19, 2011

I forward it to the GeoGebra Forum.



Sunday, November 20, 2011

Raymond responds.  



This flow of information absolutely amazes me.  I mean, I loved the question after Kate posted it.  In fact, I immediately created an applet and had used the problem with my advanced class early in the first quarter.  They struggled a bit with it, but then when Dan asked about highlighting the squares and doing some of the counting, things changed.

I consider myself to be a little better than average when using GeoGebra, but Raymond is a freaking Jedi. Take a look at his stuff.  He takes an applet that I thought would require a number of tedious steps and bangs it out using 6 steps--and within 24 hours.  That's ridiculous.

The applet is here.

2 comments:

Roy Wright said...

Huh -- I don't know if anyone has pointed this out already, but it appears that (number of boxes) / (length of diagonal) is always between 1/sqrt(2) and sqrt(2). The lower limit is easy to understand, but the upper limit is intriguing (if it's correct).

Daniel Stucke said...

And I can sit in bed on a Sunday morning and take it all in on my iPad, even playing with the applet. Brilliant!