Monday, June 21, 2010

Adventures in Pedagogy: Experiments

Homeschooling has been interesting.  Suffice it to say, my kids have developed some bad habits very quickly. It's hard to admit that I've let my own children become answer chasers right under my nose.  I ask questions and we have a lot of conversations, but in a typical school day, my kids are gone from 8:00am-3:30pm and then have busywork waste-of-time-packet-work, er, homework to do.  By the time they were done, there wasn't really any desire to talk about the hoops they were jumping through stuff they were learning.

This morning was fantastic.  Nevan, my 8-year-old, was stoked that he had a science experiment to do.  He was looking through his text and saw the experiments and just lit up when my wife told him we were actually going to do them.

"Mom, my book at school had all kinds of experiments, but we never got to do them."

Wait, what?

Now, I'm no science teacher, but I couldn't agree more with Shawn's assessment of the situation.

I think the look on this kid's face speaks for itself.

No comments: