Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fraction Multiplication

I've been spending some time lately thinking about how to help elementary school teachers teach math conceptually even if they don't consider themselves strong in math. I keep coming back to interactive applets (read: GeoGebra) because it's kind of a one-stop shop. Yesterday, I tried a few out with a 4th grade class and they responded very favorably. So, here are the latest two I've done on fraction multiplication.

Click on "File" and "Save" if you'd like a copy of either applet.



This is a Java Applet created using GeoGebra from www.geogebra.org - it looks like you don't have Java installed, please go to www.java.com





This is a Java Applet created using GeoGebra from www.geogebra.org - it looks like you don't have Java installed, please go to www.java.com


Please forgive the crowding, I had to minimize everything in order to fit them into the post.

2 comments:

concretekax said...

These are excellent. Thanks for sharing!

keninwa said...

I showed these to my 5th grade daughter - she immediately liked the 2nd applet because she could connect it with the "area of rectangles" problems that she has done.