Friday, July 27, 2012

A Closer Look at Why

David Coffey:
For years I taught as others taught and I do not want to go back to those times. I am comfortable and confident in my teaching but that is not to say complacent. Thanks to all of you, I continue to find ideas that inspire me.

This is what makes Dan's most recent series of posts so important. Posts outlining specific classroom activities are important as they give us insight as to how we do what we do. As David alludes to in his post, these ideas are important, but they're limited in the I'm-not-you-and-you're-not-me kind of way. The Ladder of Abstraction is bigger than any specific activity as it get to the heart of why we do what we do. It's not limited by the skill set of the teacher. In fact, it's the one thing we all have in common, but until now, has been a bit nebulous. As this unfolds, I think we will see more great ideas come out of the mathtweet-o-blogosphere.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: