Friday, October 18, 2013

The Student Rubric

We are currently working on a performance task where students have to gather data, apply a line of best fit, determine a rate and then make a prediction.  It's been a task to help students shift their thinking from right/wrong to more/less.  In other words, I don't want them to see their understanding as binary--I get it; I don't get it.  I want them to see their understanding as something that falls on a continuum.

When doing something like finding a line of best fit, I think it's less important to discuss what the line looks like and more important to discuss why a particular line is best. This leads us to the descriptors we've been using to discuss both sides of the same coin:

Concept and Precision

5: Strong concept; Precise

4: Strong concept; Somewhat precise

3: Problem with concept; Somewhat precise

2: Problem with concept; Lacks precision

1: No attempt

Through a few discussions with different classes, the top three descriptors have evolved into something like this.

5: Precise answer with precise method

4: Estimate backed by reason

3: Estimate

Then I walked by a student and noticed the self-assessment she was doing.


How's that for kid friendly?

2 comments:

cheesemonkeysf said...

Wow, I REALLY think you are on to something here.

I especially like how you're handling 3- and 4-point responses.

I often see a student make an estimate (or just a wild-ass guess) that they can neither explain nor justify, but that they are attached to because it is "the correct answer." Oftentimes, they don't even have a reason that goes along with their guess. They just guess!

I especially appreciate how you are distinguishing between a WAG and an estimate that is at least backed by some kind of reasoning.

I'll definitely be using this! Thanks!

- Elizabeth (@cheesemonkeysf)

Anonymous said...

I like the 'precise' language and how you are making that a norm for the kids to be thinking about. Thanks for sharing!